Friday, January 24, 2014

#STOPDROPANDSPIN!.... NOW!!




Hoopers had quite an exciting week in social media! On Tuesday afternoon I received notifications from several people ordering me to '#stopdropandspin'. It was pretty self-explanatory. I stopped and dropped whatever it was that I was doing, grabbed a hoop, made and uploaded a Bassnectar video to my Instagram, then tagged 3 more hoopers with the same instructions. 


This ingenious idea spread faster than chain emails, and as long as hoopers keep posting their videos I don't see it stopping anytime soon. People (myself included) are being tagged over and over again, and I don't think they have a problem participating more than once. I mean, if someone's way of intruding on my day involves telling me to stop whatever it is I'm doing and grab a hula hoop, be my guest--and favorite person ever. The second day of #stopdropandspin, I woke up to several demands. Being that I was still in bed, I turned my video camera on and started filming this little excursion. Starting with the view of my ceiling, I moved on to my alarm clock showing it was only 8:03 a.m., grabbed a hoop, got back in bed, and spun it around my foot. In my opinion, this was a hilarious and great start to my day. 



No matter what time it is, I think it's a great addition to anyone's day. Considering most Instagram hoopers don't know each other personally, it's amazing that we are comfortable passing this chain around to random people because we know they share our passion. 

One of the greatest things about #stopdropandspin is that it is bringing new faces into the realms of social media's hula hoopers. Hashtags are the primary requisite for networking and finding people who share your interests. Hoopers who dedicate a lot of time to social media and connecting with others usually have several preferred hashtags that they will check regularly and/or more often than others. When #stopdropandspin busted loose, I noticed many people I had never seen before, and there were a lot of hoopers I see regularly that had yet to catch the buzz. When they did, familiar faces came flowing into the circle as quickly as the new. Even if people stop following directions when they #stopdropandspin, they still pass on the vibes hoopers will continue looking for. Tagging someone in a hoop video isn't necessary when it comes to inspiration. People can watch hoop videos on any link, website, or hashtag and still feel the inspiration and urge to stop what they're doing and hula hoop. However, it is pretty fun when you're really in the middle of something and you receive a notification from a stranger summoning you to hula hoop. It's kind of an addiction--but that's another story for another kind of day. So, bottom line, if you're reading this and have a hoop, I suggest that you go grab it, because you have just been ordered to #stopdropandspin!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Any Thoughts?