Monday, August 11, 2014

Say Something, I Wont Give Up My Hoops.



For many people, music is the super glue that permanently connects all the tiny pieces of life and holds them together in a place where everything will always make sense. I am one of these people, and hula hooping is one of the few places where I can both lose and find myself within the music. When the music plays and I have my hoop in hand, I twirl away into another universe that is completely my own. This is one of many reasons hula hoops are referred to as 'sacred circles'. I may stumble, drop it, and at times go for a nice little jog to catch it, but it's not about being perfect. It's about everything aside from perfection. Hoop Dancing is a meditative state of mind where worries and reality don't have to matter.

Say Something by A Great Big World is one of the saddest songs I've ever heard in my life, but it is undeniably beautiful. I don't believe in giving up on the people I love or walking away from broken things that still have room for mending. That song holds such a heartbreaking tone filled with so much love and desperation. Every time I hear it I'm inspired to pick up a hula hoop and disappear within the lyrics. Maybe it's because I never want to feel that way and I'm trying to fight against it, or maybe it's because I have felt that way and I don't want to feel as though I'm going through it all over again. (Music tends to have a very serious and personal effect on me.) The video I uploaded is imperfect in many ways. Sure, I dropped my hoop at the beginning and got a little tangled here and there, but in my mind there was never an absent moment where I didn't feel a sense of comfort and therapy. I am eternally grateful that I have found such a wonderful outlet in life, and unlike the song lyrics, I will never give up on it.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Any Thoughts?