Friday, October 18, 2013

The Unit of Language

(n.) a unit of language, consisting of one or more spoken sounds or their written representation, that functions as a principal carrier of meaning. 


I love words. Being a writer, I'm sure that's kind of a given. There is an infinite number of words out there. Many languages have their own words that don't translate into others, and new words are constantly created through slang and progress. Words can be anything. Despite their definitions, words are capable of sounding beautiful and alluring, yet they can mean the exact opposite. It's almost a cover-up for what lies beneath. A string of words connected into a phrase or sentence have the power to change the world. A word alone holds the same power. Think of the nicest or meanest things anyone has ever said to you, and think about the most enthralling or offensive things you have ever read or heard. It's quite mind-boggling. 

If I could, I would cover my entire body in words and quotes. They get me through everything. From books and definitions, to song lyrics and movies; my life is a product of their influence. I like to keep a notebook of my favorite quotes, and I always highlight lines in books that appeal to me. My mind keeps its own list of my favorite words. Without trying, I learned two new words since yesterday; coincidentally, they both hold enchanting definitions and both define a specific type of person. I thought they were noteworthy enough to share:






Words are not much different than atomic matter. They are the little pieces making up everything we do in order to communicate and define ourselves. Without them, there would be so much empty space in the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any Thoughts?