Thursday, June 19, 2014

The Veiled Hooper


There's something so mysterious and enthralling about wearing a mask. We are taught not to judge based on physical appearances, yet when we can't see someone's, an automatic question mark arises. People wear masks for countless reasons. Dating all the way back to Aristotle in Ancient Greece, masks have played a huge role in the world of Performing Arts. They were first used as costumes and an easy way for men to disguise themselves as women. Nowadays, equality and the use of makeup have put masks somewhat on the back burner; which is why coming across a masked performer holds such a heightened level of interest. Unless one plans on attending a circus or another performance that requires masks, they are more than likely unprepared to encounter one. This happened to me yesterday. 

I am not making a comparison between the artists themselves, but does anyone remember the Jabbawockeez on MTV's America's Best Dance Crew? Well, I do. I didn't necessarily care nor wonder what they looked like behind their masks, but I think I found them to be even greater performers because they had the creative mindset to hide their facial expressions. It was about their movement and presence, and wearing masks added to all of that. The latest master of masked performances I discovered was @veiled_hoops on Instagram.



@veiled_hoops's bio ceases to divulge any personal information, and her true identity is kept completely anonymous through an entire profile of videos and images hooping behind a mask. The Veiled Hooper pioneered an aspect of hooping that proves it is in fact a performing art. She has talent, creativity, and a mind of her own. When I saw her profile, inspiration overwhelmed me. I found myself more than caught off guard. I wanted to know who she was, where she got the idea--I wanted to know everything. But within moments, I realized that was irrelevant. I'm not supposed to know who she is or any of the details. The point is to appreciate the lack thereof. The details shine outside the veil, and the mask itself holds its own aesthetic appeal. Whoever you are, @veiled_hoops, don't ever leave 'em without guessing. Your mystery is flawless, and the beauty in your talent radiates beyond concealment. 

If you're looking for entertainment or evidence that hula hooping is an art form, check her out!!

@veiled_hoops



No comments:

Post a Comment

Any Thoughts?